Thursday, August 7, 2008

We got an AYI finally!!!!

We interviewed someone for our AYI this morning and after about an hour of negotiating and talking through an interpreter we hired her. Her name is Iying and she speaks Cantonese (not a word of English). We took Vika with us to make sure they were o.k with each other since Vika will be with her a few hours during the day. When we walked in she immediately picked up Vika and was saying how cute she was. She didn't want to put her down. Vika was a little timid at first but after a few minutes she warmed up to her.

Iying will come for about four hours a day M-F. She will clean, shop, cook, do our laundry, pick up Vika from preschool and cook our dinner. All that for 28 RBM (about $4.00) an hour. We are going to get spoiled here but that was one of the perks of coming. She starts tomorrow so we may finally have a decent home cooked meal. It'll be a Chinese meal but that's o.k. The kids have gotten really good at eating with chopsticks. Even Vika has given it a try. It takes them a long time to finish eating though.

I broke down today and went to one of the American grocery stores and bought some popcorn. We don't have a microwave so I got just the kernels and we will have to cook it the old fashion way, on the stove. I just couldn't stand it anymore. I needed my comfort food. I also got a few boxes of Mac and Cheese, some flour tortillas, and a can of refried beans. They are a little more than what we would pay in the states but every once in awhile it is worth it. They had quite a bit of stuff in there. Well, I gotta go make my popcorn - Coree

4 comments:

Heidi J said...

holy cow you guys are getting spoiled. Popcorn and an AYI!!! Whoa...

jvance said...

Coree-
I can't even tell you how excited I am to follow your adventures in China! Just reading about your trip over brought back a flood of memories of when we did that same flight. Keep taking pictures and posting them because they are so fun to see! Several people at school have asked me how you are doing, and now I can direct them to your blog. My husband saw me looking at it and I know it made him a little sad and a lot jealous that you are there. Keep the posts coming, and I'll try to keep you informed of the lame and boring events going on at good ol' Mountainville. I am actually in St. George having one last vacation before the meetings start next week - so I haven't heard much, but I am sure I will when we are back next week. Enjoy China! - Janese
PS - I had no idea you were a blogger!

Rundells said...

Janese we really wish you and your family could be here with us. It would be great to enjoy this with someone who has already been here.

Rundells said...

We've had an AYI for 3 days now and it's pretty nice. Yesterday, the AYI had the house completely clean and dinner made and laundry done by the time we got home and Coree was like...what do I do now for the rest of the evening? I was like, just relax and watch a movie or something.