Friday, August 22, 2008

Typhoon Day!!!!

We woke up today ready to start our second day at school. We knew that there was a small typhoon coming in but they said that they rarely cancel school because of them so we all got ready like normal. Jonny and I left for school earlier than the others because we have to walk a few blocks farther. We walked through the main campus and it was really quiet. I thought that was strange but just blew it off that maybe people don't come as early as we were. We started walking down the street to the middle school campus and one of the other middle school teachers came toward us with a smile on her face. She asked if I was making Jonny go to school today. I thought yeah of course. Then she laughed and said that school was canceled because of the Typhoon coming but she came by to get her books to plan at home for next week. Jonny of course was so excited and ran back home to tell the others. I went ahead to school to get some of my things because if we are homebound for the day I might as get some work done.

I later found out that the Typhoon coming is a T3 category right now but they think it will be up to a T8 by noon. I'm not sure how the categories for Typhoons work yet but apparently it's bad enough that they canceled school. They haven't done that in over 6 years here. So instead of snow days we have Typhoon days. I went and got a few food items on my way home just in case and we have plenty of bottled water. We have water coolers in our homes because you can't drink the water from the tap so we had just stocked up with 4 new bottles. This might be an interesting day. We'll see how we survive our first Typhoon. (Coree)

No comments: