Saturday, September 27, 2008

Saturday Soccer



Nicole has been playing on a soccer team here in Shekou. They have had practices the past few Saturdays and finally played a few games today. She loves playing but I'm not sure how serious she really is. It's all for fun though.



As you can see from this picture, it's more for fun.



This is a local boy we met and have befriended. He is one of the security guards in our villa. Gavin first met him playing basketball at the outside court down the street. He has been helping us learn Chinese and we've been helping him with his English. He actually speaks English really well. A few weeks ago he asked us if we could help him come up with an American name. His Chinese name is Yao Fan Yang but he thinks it's too hard for Americans to remember so after several suggestions he chose the name Tony. He's a really good kid and wants to go to America to go to school. He's eighteen but because he graduated from a Chinese school he has to go to school here for a few more years to get the equivalent of an American High School Diploma. We actually have a friend who is the International Recruiter for UVU in Orem so we have been in contact with him to see how we can help Tony. I don't know if he will ever really get to go because they have to have $19,000 in an account before they can get a student visa to come to the US. They need to show that they have the money to pay for a year in the US before they will allow them to come. That is a huge amount of money for people here. I wish we could do more to help him.


After the soccer game this morning Rachel, Nicole, and I went to have a girls outing. We went to have our nails and toes done. This is my favorite thing to do here. Rachel just had a manicure since her ankle is messed up. Nicole and I both had manicures and pedicures. They have these books with all kinds of designs they will paint on for you. Some of them are really detailed. These are the ones we chose this time. We had three manicures and two pedicures done for only 180 RMB's that's about $26.00. I couldn't even get one simple pedicure for that much in the states. I decided that if I have to live with frizzy dumpy hair and being sweaty all the time, then at least I could look down at my toes and know they look good. They are my happy toes.


This is what Rachel had done on her thumbs.

4 comments:

Casey said...

I think I've said this before but if I didn't know you were in China, I wouldn't even know it from the pictures. I'm glad your like is somewhat normal since you are on the other side of the world. It is very educational but then again, I don't know what I was expecting.

SUPER COOL toes and fingers. My Natalie would love to do that with you. There's something about having cute toes and fingernails that make a girl feel super cute!

It's so fun to keep in touch with you through your blog. It's as if the whole world of family has been opened up again.

Gayle Cooper Bramwell said...

What fun!!! I want happy toes and fingers. They look so pretty. Coree, your camera really takes good photos - even action ones. Nicole looks like she is happy and having fun. It is interesting about your friend Tony. Maybe something will work out for him to come to America. I'm sure that there are many people there who are supposed to know you.

Holly said...

So Cute!! I am so jealous. You got all that cute stuff done on your toes and your fingers for so cheap! That is fun that you did something fun just for the girls. I am sure you deserve it!

Rundells said...

I so agree with Casey about the "whole world of family has been opened up again". I love reading everyelses blog and feel like I have finally gotten to know my cousins and their families a little bit more. Just keep posting so that we can learn about you all.