Sunday, September 14, 2008

Check Out My Hogg!!!

These bikes are everywhere in China. They are electric bikes. I looked for weeks and then talked to a few guys in Old Shekou who sell these bikes and I finally got one. $315. We usually take a bus or a taxi, but I found several instances when I knew where I wanted to go, but I couldn't tell the cab driver what the address was, so my only option was to walk. For example, Coree and I wanted to buy Jonny a Wii for his birthday and some friends of ours told us about this electronics store about 10 miles from here. We couldn't tell the cab driver how to turn right or left so we just took a bus as close as we could and then walked the rest of the way. There are a lot of cases like that here so we decided to get one of these electric bikes. These bikes are incredibly handy because you almost never have to stop. They're not fast, but you get wherever you are going extremely fast because you never stop. You go between cars, on sidewalks, up driveways. Traffic is a little chaotic here, so you have to keep you guard up. People will just walk out into the street without looking. I'm shocked that more people don't get hit by cars because people will literally step off the sidewalk and they won't even look to on coming traffic. I know some of you are thinking I'm exaggerating, but I'm going to take some pictures to prove it.

The guy who was trying to sell me the bike told me that one of the selling points is that you can fit 4 people on it. He and his wife showed me how to fit 4 people on it. You put your littlest in front like Vika. Then your second child goes behind you and then your wife sits in the back. I thought that was absurd. I was thinking, yea maybe 4 Chinese people could fit on this, but not us. Anyway, we actually tried putting 4 people on it the other day just to test it out.
This is virtually identical to the moped I had in high school. Same color, but it's electric. Laugh if you want to, but it's still fun. When I was 14 I carried my surfboard on the back and now I carry my wife and 4 kids on the back.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Lars said...

I want one of those so bad, looks super fun!!

Casey said...

Those are soooo cool!

Miss Risa's House said...

hi, this is larisa this is the only way I know how to show i have a blog. Cool ride!

Rundells said...

They really are fun. Yesterday I (Coree) rode it home from church with Vika on the front and Nicole on the back. I looked like a true blue Chinese woman (except for the blonde hair).

Kristy said...

Sweeeeeeet! Looks like such a blast! This is just the beginning...before you know it you guys will be eating octopus and squid and love it!:)