Sunday, September 7, 2008

My morning of bad luck!

Yesterday started out looking like it was going to just be a fun family day. Jonny and Nicole had soccer in the morning and then Jonny was going to have his birthday party in the afternoon. I woke up early and Jonny, Vika, and I (Coree) headed off for his soccer game. His first game was 8:30 so we had to leave about 7:40 to catch a bus and get to the field by 8:00. Everything was going fine. It wasn't too hot yet so it looked like it was going to be a perfect day. WRONG!!!!

We got to the field on time and Jonny went off to warm up. It wasn't more than 10 minutes after we got there that Vika said she had to go to the bathroom. The public restrooms here are no more than a hole in the ground and they usually don't smell too good so I was not looking forward to taking her. We walked around a few minutes trying to find one but had no luck. Finally I asked some of the players on the team and they said there was one behind this old building. We walked around the corner of the building and there was a water pipe broken and water was spraying straight up and out. The restrooms were located in this small walkway and of course the women's room was on the otherside of the water break so we had to walk right through the water to get to it. Of course Vika wasn't going for this and didn't want to get wet. I thought I had convinced her and ran for it thinking she was right behind me but no she didn't even try. I was completely soaked and had to go back through the water to get her. At this point she had already gone in her pants so now I really had to get her in there to change her clothes (fortunately I had some extra ones in my bag). I ran back to get her and literally had to drag her back through the water. We looked like we had jumped in a lake, we were completely soaked from head to toe. I got her cleaned up and remembered I had an umbrella in my bag. So thinking this would protect us from the water I pulled it out. We ran for it but of course the umbrella only protected us from the water spraying down it didn't protect us from the water shooting out, so we were drenched again and my umbrella broke. So, here we are at a soccer game completely wet. I was not a happy camper. I was ready to get on the bus and just go home but I figured we were there so we might as well stay. It ended up being a warm morning so the wet clothes helped with the heat but the hair and makeup were a mess.

I figured my bad luck was over for the day so I decided to just make a joke of it and try to enjoy the day. After the game, Gavin and Nicole had met us at the field after her soccer practice so we took a bus back. Gavin decided that he wanted to go look at an electric bike so we went home and he went shopping. I figured I could go home and get cleaned up for Jonny's party later in the afternoon. About an hour after we were home, Gavin called and wanted me to come down to Old Shekou to look at this electric scooter. He wanted to compare the bike with the scooter but wanted me to ride on the back when he tested them to see if we would both be comfortable on it. I headed out the door and heard some thunder in the background. It was a nice sunny day in the morning so I didn't think much of it. I had a thought in the back of my mind though that I should probably grab an umbrella since I had broken mine earlier. I just shrugged it off and headed out the door. About three blocks away from the house it started getting windy and then rain started pouring down. Just my luck. I was drenched again. As I stood near a phone booth for shelter I debated whether I should keep going or turn around. I was about half way to the shop so I ran to a 7-11 (yes we have one here) and bought an umrella. I was already wet but it would at least give me some protection.

That was my fun morning. Bus ride, shower, soccer game, bus ride, and a shower again.

No comments: