Thursday, October 23, 2008

Spirit Week

It has been spirit week this week at our school. I had a few Asian students ask me why we do this. I explained that it is just a fun crazy thing they do in American schools mostly to promote Homecoming week. I'm sure the locals here thought we were all crazy as they watched us walk to school each day this week.

Monday was blue and yellow day our school colors, Tuesday crazy hair day, Wednesday backwards or mismatch day, and today is bling bling or gangster day for my campus and pajama day for the other. Tomorrow is character day. I wish I had taken picture but I wasn't that organized this week.

It was fun to participate in a few of the days. The first two were easy for me but yesterday I just didn't feel like being backwards. Most students wore their clothes backwards and it just was too uncomfortable for me. I should have worn mismatched clothes but didn't catch that part of the description. Today I really tried to come gangster. I had a pair of Gavin's big basketball shorts on with a large tshirt but the only large tshirt I had was a BYU shirt. It didn't quite fit the gangster look. I put a pair of Jonny's basketball shoes on and left them untied and slapped on a baseball hat of course it was on sideways. I looked in the mirror and looked like a hideous old lady who just didn't have time to get dressed. That was not the look I was going for, therefore, I quickly changed into my normal clothes. Call me a party pooper but I just couldn't pull it off.

The kids have really enjoyed it this week. They always love crazy hair day. It has been interesting seeing the response at the different age levels with spirit week. Since I have a child in each school (Early Child Center, Elementary, Middle, and Secondary or High school) I have observed their reactions.

Vika didn't quite get the whole thing. She had Pajama Day on Monday and thought that was fun but when we tried to fix her hair crazy she just would not tolerate that. She just wanted a princess hairdo. For mix match day, again she would not do it. No way would she go to school like that.

Nicole has loved everyday and that age group usually does. Jonny of course participated but most of the students in the middle school would wait to see what other students did then they would quickly try to throw something together. Rachel is always gungho for these kinds of things and I saw that her age will usually participate. Anything to get that attention.

It has been fun but with limited resources here it was a challenge. Now we know what to bring back from the states so that next year will be easier.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I love dress up days. Yes you do look silly but who cares. You only get to do it once in awhile. They are always the best memories I have. The only bad part is that the kids are usually extra hyper when they dress up.