Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm going to do better.

I'm going to try to write something everyday. Even if it is just leaving a quote or thought. I've been inspired by so many others through their blogs and maybe I won't say something profound that will inspire others but at least I'll leave my thoughts for others to read.

Today Gavin and I went to Ikea to finally get some kind of mattress cover for our bed. The beds here aren't as comfy as those at home and we have been on a mission to find some kind of padding or mattress pad for our beds. We found some memory foam pads at a store in the mall but it was going to cost us almost $800.00 to get one for our bed. It didn't seem worth it. We decided to go back to Ikea and get these foam pads we saw when we first moved here. They are basically a 2 inch foam pad with egg crate on one side that is covered with fabric. They are a little small for our beds because we have Chinese beds which are sized differently then European or American beds but they will work.

While we were there enjoying our Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes (yum yum) lunch, I noticed a Chinese grandma carrying her sleeping grandchild around. The baby was about 10 months old and looked huge in this tiny woman's arms. I immediately thought how that poor woman's back must be killing her but then I noticed how lovingly she was looking at her grandchild. It was so sweet to see how much she loved this baby by making sure he was comfortable no matter how much it may have physically hurt her. Here in China I have noticed that mothers, grandmothers, aunts, all family members will doddle over their young children. I realized today that they do this because most families will only have one child here. They are allowed one boy and sometimes one girl. They have to pay to have more than one child so that one child is the most precious thing in their lives and they will do anything for that child. I think sometimes we overlook how precious each child is when we are busy taking care of three, four, or more. We need to stop and make sure each one feels loved. They each need to feel their individual worth and know how special and important they are.

I love each of my children so very much and I need to step up as a mother and make sure they each know how special they are. It is so easy to love them when they come running to you with a huge smile on their face and give you a big hug. I need to work on making sure they know they are loved even when they drop a whole glass of apple juice on the newly mopped floor, or when they forget to pick up their things and they have left a mess throughout the house. I need to let them know how much I love them when they get into my fingernail polish and have left colorful marks all over the counter, or when the are arguing and annoying each other. I need to remember that they are each a special gift from our Heavenly Father, who has given me the privilege and opportunity to be their mother. Out of all the jobs I have or have had, the job of being a mother should be the most important. I'm going to step up and try to be the mother I ought to be.

5 comments:

V said...

That was pretty profound. Something someone told me when I was expecting Roux was that messes clean up, clothes wash, and other "stuff" can wait. Just enjoy the moment and your kid(s). Remembering that helps me to be more patient. You're awesome!!

Miss Risa's House said...

I love everything that you said! So true we really need to slow down and just enjoy are children.Your comment and question to me is so true !It is excatly what they did! I will never have soft scrub in my home again! It so reminds me of those cleaning times!

Holly said...

You go girl! What a touching story. I didn't know that this still applied in China. People probably look and you and are so jealous. You are lucky to be a mother. Your kids are the sweetest, kindest, and funny kids I know!

Rundells said...

They can have more than one child but they have to pay a lot of money to the government if they have more than one. Most people can't afford it so they will only have one child. Sometimes if they will give their kids to other family members to raise. We have a friend that his parents had a boy and then a girl. When he was born they couldn't keep him because they only allowed one boy and girl per family. His uncle only had a girl so he was given to him to raise so they do have ways around it but people are shocked when they hear we have four kids.

Unknown said...

What wonderful and true thoughts and you say it all so beautifully. Perhaps this is your time to unify and strengthen your family as we were told we must do today in conference. I see some really good things coming to you there and know these are blessings for your trying to live righteous obedient lives. This will probably help all of us to do better.