Saturday, June 21, 2014

Why Saudi Arabia? Part 1

People always wonder what the appeal to living in Saudi Arabia is, well honestly it's the money.  Jobs here tend to pay WAY more than any place else in the world, AND, they usually include a very sweet benefit package.  We were very hesitant in moving here three years ago, but the money was just too appealing.  We researched and talked to people who lived here, and learned that most people who come here don't leave.  WHY?  Probably mostly the money, but also the standard of living.

Yes, we have to put up with lots of inconveniences, such as women not being able to drive, but honestly I don't think I would want to drive here.  The roads are like a crazy Mario driving game.  Laws are enforced only part of the time so people drive very fast and crazy here.  As a woman, I haven't found the non driving much of an issue, except when I want to just get away by myself.  Going to the grocery store has become more of a social event.  Every Thursday afternoon I board a very comfortable bus with several other people from our compound and am chauffeured to Tamimi's, which is basically Safeway, where they have just about everything any expat would want, well except bacon.  I am treated like a queen when we go.  My groceries are not only bagged quickly, but are then loaded on and unloaded off the bus for me.  I don't have to lift a finger.  I get to ride on this comfortable bus, sit back and relax while socializing with my friends.  What's so bad about that?





Yes, I have to wear an abaya whenever I go out in public but that's usually just to go to the mall or out to dinner.  I don't have to wear it on our compound or at our school so I probably only spend about 20% of my time here in an abaya.  Not a big deal at all.  The benefit of wearing it is that I don't have to worry about what I have on underneath.  If I want to wear my pajamas to dinner, no big deal because they are covered by an abaya.  The only things I need to make sure look good are my hair, makeup and maybe my shoes.

Rachel sporting the Abaya


Life can be a little boring here at times without much to do, but I'm perfectly fine with that.  I get to spend lots of quality time with my family.  We have time to actually be together, rather than me being a taxi driver or trying to keep track of all our different schedules.  Our life here has become centered around our family.  Again, what's wrong with that?

The amount of money that we make and save here is the real clincher as to why we chose to live here.  We would never be able to have the life style we live here and be able to save the amount of money, if we were back in the States.  Our income is tax free and our expenses are extremely low in that just about everything here is provided for us.  We live in a nice three story, 3000 sq foot villa for free.  We have the convenience of a pool and fitness center, free.  We don't have to pay any utilities, other than our internet and cell phones.  We don't have to worry about health insurance, it is completely covered both here and in the US.  No premiums, no copays in the States, 100% prescriptions included.  We are given a home leave package to pay for flights home for our family every year that more than covers the actual cost of our our airfare, so we get to fly home, free.  Why would I want to give any of that up?

Our compound villas

Our villa


Vika at the pool


My kids are getting a world class education at an excellent private school for free.  They are experiencing the world and getting see things most people can only dream about.

Life in Saudi isn't perfect, but it is way better than most people think.  Our reservations about living here when we first came a few years ago, are completely gone.  I feel safer here then I did back in the States where you would hear of shootings, robberies, murders, etc.; everyday.  I may live in a little bubble here, but I'm perfectly happy in my bubble and have no intentions of leaving soon.


No comments: