Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving....in China

We didn't get Thursday off for Thanksgiving here in Shekou but that didn't stop us. In our complex we have several American families that either work or go to QSI so we decided to have a progressive Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday afternoon. I spent the entire day cooking a turkey, mashing potatoes, baking desserts and rolls and enjoyed every minute of it. I turned on Christmas music and had a great time.

Our progressive dinner started at the Paugh's for appetizers. We could have just stopped there because they were so good.
Vika found a spot to chill with a cool drink. I love these little chairs. I saw them in Thailand a few years ago and wanted to get some but didn't know how I could carry them back to China. The Paugh's seemed to find a way and now I'm regretting not getting some of my own.

We sat around enjoying the weather, company and good food.
My two crazy girls who are inseparable...
Jonny does not like me to take pictures but Simon was able to get him to give me a smile.
After the appetizers we all went out to the park in the middle of our complex for some fun. Another group of teachers challenged our group to a game of football but there were just too many trees so we just all played around. Nicole, Chelsea, and Kate were the cheerleaders.
Of course Vika had to get in the picture. Anything girly and she is there.
My two girls again......Blair and Rachel
A little bit of throwing a football around. What would Thanksgiving be without football. There were at least 40 crazy Americans playing in the park area. The Chinese people couldn't stop staring.
A little bit of Volleyball.....
The pom poms all fell apart. Not surprising since they were made in China. This little Chinese girl had so much fun just playing with all the strings.
Of course Blair can get Jonny to smile.

After playing outside for about an hour we all headed over to the Galicia's for the main meal.


Am I seeing this right? Men in the kitchen and Gavin is carving a Turkey?
We ordered three turkeys for the 40 of us. They were Jenny O Turkeys imported from America. I'm not sure that they even have turkeys here in China. Not a cheap Thanksgiving with the turkey's costing $50.00 each but it was well worth it. The table was filled with lots of good food. Each family brought a few side dishes to share and we had more than enough. It felt like a real Thanksgiving dinner.

Vika enjoying her Thanksgiving food.We had wall to wall people in the house. This is how Thanksgiving should be...lots of food and people you love.

Gabriella and Mahika had never been to a Thanksgiving dinner. Gabriella is from Sweden and Mahika from India. Neither had even had turkey before. We also had a boy from Columbia there with us who ate turkey for the first time. I guess it really is a North American thing. I just assumed people from all over the world ate turkey.

Our night ended up at the Sedmak's house for dessert. We had WAY too many yummy desserts. We each brought two things and ended up taking a lot home.

It was a perfect day. We haven't had a real Thanksgiving dinner in three years. I guess it doesn't matter where you are in the world, you can make it a great day. All you need are people you love and good food. A grateful heart full of love...

1 comment:

Heidi J said...

wow you had so much fun! And a ton of food! I'm jealous. Josh and I sat home. You're lucky to have people to celebrate with!