Friday, September 10, 2010

Craziest Thunderstorm Ever!!!!

I'm still trying to update our blog from this summer but I had to post about the crazy thunderstorm we had the other night. I was trying not to blog things until I was all caught up so that things could be kept in some type of order but that might mean that I don't get things posted.

Anyway, a few days ago we had our Open House at school and I was walking home at about 8:30 at night. It was so hot a muggy that it really seemed creepy. The air was so thick and still. I was thinking how strange that was and it felt really gloomy like something bad was about to happen. I came home and just wanted to go to bed after a long day at school followed by a VB game then the Open House at night.

I went to bed pretty early thinking I could get a good nights sleep. About 11:00 I heard some rumbling in the distance and in my half awaken sleep, thought how strange it sounded. It wasn't sporadic bursts of thunder, it was more like a constant rumbling of a freight train headed our way. I drifted in and out of sleep as I heard the rumbling get louder and louder. I finally awoke around midnight as the blasts approached us. The sky was lit like fireworks bursting in the sky. Gavin counted about 10 per second which calculated to 60 flashes per minute. It was like being in a dance club with a strobe light. Add the thunder to those 60 or so lightening strikes and you end up with an amazing combination of booms and bangs. The thunder was indescribable. It wasn't a boom of thunder with breaks in between, it was one huge blast that wouldn't stop.

I usually love thunder storms but this felt different. It was like doom was headed our way. The blasts were like bombs going off right over our head. The freight train had hit in a huge way. I was literally scared at times with the windows and walls shaking with the blasts of thunder. It wasn't the pleasant rolling thunder sound, it was the sound of war. I felt like we were right in the middle of a bombing raid. I tried to think of ways that I could explain it, but words just can't. It was like being in the middle of the grand finale of a fireworks show but 100 times the noise and intensity. The rain was coming down in sheets. The wind blew the rain against our window which sounded like popcorn popping. The whole experience was terrifying yet amazing.

The intensity of the storm lasted for about 20 minutes then it slowly moved on to find some other fearful soul. I layed awake for about an hour after thinking of how this would be a great descriptive story for my Writing I class. I tried to think of different ways to describe the events using figurative language. It was such an amazing, fearful event that I felt it needed to be recorded.

Last night we had an encore but not quite as intense. Right now I can hear thunder in the distance with flashes of light in the sky. The freight train is on it's way again. We will see what it has to bring tonight.

1 comment:

Heidi J said...

oh my. that does sound a big gloomy and scary! I'm glad you are ok after. How was the next one?