Monday, December 20, 2010

Our Gingerbread House


A Christmas tradition that I remember from my childhood was the Gingerbread house my mom would make just about every year. She would spend hours decorating these beautiful creations and then on New Years Day we would get to demolish and eat them. I've never made one from scratch on my own and decided that I wanted to create this tradition in our family. Being here in China, I wasn't sure if I would be able to find the right things needed but quickly started my search. Day one Vika and I spent mixing the gingerbread dough. We were fortunate enough to find all the right ingredients and with the help of the internet we found a good recipe with patterns and directions. Vika and I spent a few hours trying to find the different candies needed and although we couldn't find all the things we wanted, we found enough to make our houses.

I let the dough refrigerate overnight and spent the next morning rolling, cutting, and baking the different pieces needed. Then Nicole and I were off to IKEA to see if we could find some cake decorating tools for the house. We had lunch there enjoying the Swedish Meatballs (for only $1.50) and were happily surprised to find the things we needed along with some Christmas cookie cutouts for Sugar cookies.
That evening we started the construction of the houses. I was a bit nervous if it would all work. I used the icing recipe suggested and with a little holding and molding, we were able to construct the houses. I made two houses so that Vika and Nicole could decorate one all by themselves (or with a little help from me) but mostly on their own.
The creativity began and we ended up with two beautiful masterpieces. It was so fun and I love looking at them sitting on our tables. The aroma of gingerbread and beautiful houses makes it really feel like Christmas. I don't know why we didn't do this before and it will definitely become a tradition in our home.
The IKEA icing bags became very sticky as the the icing seeped through the sides. Another thing to add to our list of things to bring with are good cake decorating bags and tools.
Rachel was our photographer here and was able to capture the beauty of our creations.






1 comment:

Heidi J said...

oh how fun! I can't believe you actually cooked the pieces. I've honestly never heard of anyone doing that. It seems intimidating! Love the finished houses!