Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Punky Bike Thief

This is a story you have to read. Go ahead and laugh even though it was really irritating at the time.

Last night Gavin and I rode our bikes down to Old Shekou. We had to get a few clothes for Vika and they have some pretty cheap stuff down there. Old Shekou is lined with all kinds of shops. Sometimes we just like to go down there to window shop.

We came to a shop that Gavin wanted to go into so I decided to stay out with the bikes. I didn't lock them up because he wasn't going to be very long and I was going to stand watch. Gavin had found some pants and had tried them on. He came up to the front of the store for me to look at them. I turned around and took a few steps toward him and BAM. Someone jumped on my bike and started riding away. I was only a few feet away but had my back to it. Gavin watched it happen and being the track star he is, bolted out the door and started chasing him down the street. He still had the pants on from the store but we didn't care. It was like watching a foot race on a cop show or something. All the Chinese people came out of their shops to watch the amazing chase.

They were weaving in and out of traffic. Gavin is pretty fast and got close to tackling the guy off the bike but this guy was booking. He must have seen the determination on Gavin's face. Unfortunately, he didn't catch the guy but he put on a good attempt and show. I know for sure that the poor little Chinese guy would really be hurting right now if Gavin had caught him.

We had been warned this would happen. They target the foreigners, so we were told to be careful. This was the second bike we had stolen this month. Our electric bike was stolen in front of Walmart and it was locked up with an alarm. Once they are stolen there isn't anything we can do.

Can you believe the nerve? This guy stole my bike right in front of us.

5 comments:

Hizzeather said...

I am sorry about the bike, but cool story! :)

Heidi J said...

That really sucks. I can totally see Gavin running after him. I would have liked to see him catch him.. what would have happened I wonder? :)

Gayle Cooper Bramwell said...

What an image I have of Gavin chasing the guy and I not only wonder what would have happened to the theif, but what would happen to Gavin if he had caught the guy... Too bad!

Holly said...

That is a funny story, but also extremly sad. Sorry for the loss of the bikes. I wish you had some pics of that. It would be classic.

Rundells said...

That's when I wish I had a video camera. Maybe we can do a re-enactment.