Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Week

Earth Day was April 22 but our school decided to make it Earth Week. Living here in China has really opened my eyes to our world and how we really need to step up and take care of this beautiful world we have. I've realized how bad I have been in the past. I used to think that because I recycled items that I was doing enough but that is so untrue.

How many times have I left a room with the lights, TV, computer, or stereo on? How many times have I left my house with the A/C on because I wanted to come home to a COLD house? How many times have I used paper plates, cups, plastic utensils, paper napkins, because I was too lazy and didn't want to clean up afterwards. How many times have I used paper towels to clean up a small spill instead of a cloth rag because I didn't want to have to do laundry? How many times have I jumped in my car and ran to the store just for a few items or to run an errand a few blocks away? How many times have I packed my kids lunches using plastic bags and paper sacks so that they could just throw it all away? These are just a few things that I have been guilty of.

I hate to say this but I've realized how wasteful I have been. In America I was living a life of consumption...in all aspects. One thing I have learned here is that I can live without more things than I thought. I'm not saying we need to live in the stone age but I know that I can eliminate or reduce my consumption. I enjoy the many conveniences that the 21st century has provided but we need to be careful and not abuse our Earth. This Earth was created for us to enjoy not to destroy. Let's all do our part and take care of it. Recycle, reuse, do without...we all can make some small change that will make a difference.

2 comments:

V said...

I completely agree!! There are even things to decorate with that can be from recycled and "old" stuff. I've been watching HGTV's green week and there are some really cool ideas. (hgtv.com) When I go shopping I bring my own bags unless I'm in need of new trash bags. I never buy those because it is just a waste when they are given away for free at the stores. I notice here in Arizona since it has gotten so big what the effects of waste and consumption do. So lets all GO GREEN!

Rundells said...

Good for you Vi and I agree that we can even recycle things to decorate. I always like to go DI shopping of garage sales to find things that just need to be repainted or vamped up somehow. They charge you at the store if you need a plastic bag here so I always bring my own too, unless I need trash bags. They work so much better than the stuff you buy here. See, little things like that can make a difference.