Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tortillas!!!!!!!!!

We have been craving Mexican food so bad and the tortillas that are imported here are expensive and not real good. I remembered my Mom making tortillas from scratch when we were kids and thought I would give it a try.

I found a recipe on line and just went for it. They turned out ok but not like the ones that I remember as a kid or the ones that my Mom would get from Sierra Vista in Arizona. My favorite tortillas are the ones from Cafe Rio. If anyone has that recipe, I would love to have it. My family was pretty happy though to have warm soft tortillas.

I served them with a version of Spanish Rice that I just through together. Rice is easy to come by here and the other ingredients aren't too expensive. It was a pretty good meal.

I found a different recipe and made them again tonight. This time they were pretty close to the best ever. They really aren't that hard but do take some time. I'm adding a tortilla press to my list of things to bring back next summer. I've decided that I may never go back to buying tortillas from the store if I can just make it a little easier.

They were YUMMY!!!!!!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Gayle Cooper Bramwell said...

YEA for you... I am impressed that you would remember and that you would do it yourself. They really are quite easy and so good when they are fresh. The best were the whole wheat ones - in my opinion - for they were so tender and flavorful. If you get the rolling out down it is now big thing. One lady rolled them with a pop bottle on a towel over her thing and was so fast. Good for you!

Adam said...

We just had mexican food ourselves too with whole wheat tortillas. We just use a bread recipe. We put yeast and let it rise a bit first and it turns out so soft and delish. Otherwise, it's a bit hard and breaks easily.

Holly said...

I am so glad that you found a good recipe. I do remember that you guys love mexican food. Yummy! Also I love the joke with the black eye. That is a classic one that your girls will never forget.