Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Not a lot to say but here is something.....

We had the whole week of last week for Chinese New Year and did basically nothing. It was nice to just relax. I decided that they give us the whole week off so that we can sleep during the day since we were kept up all night with the fireworks. It was pretty crazy. They would light them off every night and all night long. They were just random people wanting to have fun. I woke up to fireworks every night and several of the times it was 3:00 in the morning. I'm such a dang light sleeper that any noise wakes me up, so I had several sleepless nights.

It was good we had the week off because we had some sick kids at home. Vika and Nicole both came down with some nasty flu or something. They had fevers for several days and were just wiped out. Now they each have colds. I've had one for over a month and it's getting pretty old.

We did get to Hong Kong one day. Gavin and I went to check out a campsite for his scouts. They will be going in a few weeks so we went to make sure he knew how to get there. It's not as easy and jumping in a car and driving up the canyon to a campsite. We started off by taking a taxi ride for about 40 minutes to the Futian border. There we had to cross the border and a bridge into Hong Kong. Once on the Hong Kong side we jumped on a metro for about 10 minutes then transferred to a bus that then drove us for another 20 minutes. I was surprised to see wilderness in Hong Kong. The campsite was pretty good and is free. I don't think I would want to camp though, too many bugs, but it was a nice little trip.

We decided to take a different route home so we could stop in Dong Men, a shopping district. It was on a train again to a different border, cross the border, jump on the metro and we finally reached Dong Men about an hour later. We decided this is the place to go shopping. It has everything imaginable and CHEAP. There were tons of people there. I'll post the video as soon as I can. Our computer at home has a virus and we can't fix it so until then we have to use the schools computers and I don't want to download my pictures here.

We are back in school this week. It is a long haul until our next break in May. Hope we survive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some time when you are in HK you might want to buy a copy of "Hong Kong for Kids" if you don't already have it. It's an awesome guidebook that lists all kinds of fun things families can do together. Since you were suprised to find wilderness in HK, you would definitely benefit from the book's listings of hiking parks and quiet beaches.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

I'm so excited you guys went to China! When we left for Denmark, it was a possibility, but not for sure. It's been so fun to read all of your past posts. i thought WE were having a foreign experience, but reading your blog makes Denmark seem not so different. It's great though, and we absolutely love it here. I'm glad you are enjoying it there, too. Say hi to everyone and tell Rachel we miss our babysitter!

Amy Bennion