Sunday, November 16, 2014

Volleyball 2014


 It was that time of year again, Volleyball season.  This year was an exciting year in our home with Jonny playing Varsity, Nicole JV, Gavin coaching the JV girls, and I'm coaching the MS girls.  I love watching my kids play.  I guess you can say I live vicariously through them.

The JV girls took 3rd in the SAIKAC U16 tournament.  That was sad because they really were good enough to take 1st but just couldn't get it together at the right moments.  My DEMS girls team were invited to play in the U16 tournament and we went with no expectations and actually did much better then we thought.  We got 8th which is good for a group of 13 and 14 years olds playing against much older teams.  I decided that I like coaching when there aren't any expectations because you always come out better then expected.  It was fun to watch my MS girls improve throughout the tournament. The U14 tournament is in a few weeks which will be a little nerve racking but I'm excited for that.

Nicole played setter on the JV team this year and was a starter most of the time.  That's pretty good for a freshman.  Gavin coached the girls and I helped him as much as I could.  Many of the girls on the team were my girls from MS who I've coached for the past three years, so it was fun to be a part of it again and see their improvements.

The following week after the JV tournament was the Varsity tournament.  It was here at our school so I got to watch Jonny play his final VB games of High School.  Jonny played setter and did an outstanding job.  He received many compliments from the refs on his setting abilities.  They were an awesome team but faced the JV team in the finals.  The boys JV team really played well and were a good match for the Varsity.  Unfortunately, the Varsity took 2nd.  It was sad, but they played an awesome game.

The JV girls also played in the Varsity tournament and took 2nd.  The DHS Varsity girls took 1st.
It was two weekends packed with good volleyball.

Nicole practicing her spike.


Gavin and the JV girls

Nicole at the net


Nicole setting

Tip by Nicole




Add caption

Block by Jonny

Jonny tipping

Jonny setting...love his puffed cheeks







No comments: