Saturday, October 1, 2011

Girls will be girls...and more!

Vika is quite the girly girl. She loves to play dress up as an "adult" version of Vika. She probably wears my high heels more than I do and jewelry is always an accessory in her wardrobe. She had a friend over to play one day and came down dressed up like this. Her friend, who is a boy, also came down with my heels on but wouldn't let me take a picture. Vika of course loves the camera and hams it up whenever a camera is pointed at her. Here she is fashioning skinny jeans with black high heel sandals, a large fashionable bag from Rue 21, of course lots of bracelets and the ever famous Dior glasses on her head. Quite the fashionable little girl.
One fun thing about living in different countries is trying the different types of food. It can be disappointing at times but occasionally we are surprised to find a gem. I saw these melons at the store and decided to give them a try since I love cantelope, I was hoping to find an orange melon inside. When I cut the melon open and saw a white fruit I was a little disappointed thinking it would be more like a honey dew which is one of my least favorite melons. The seeds were the orange color that you would see in a cantelope so I wasn't sure what it was. I was pleasantly surprised to find it tastes exactly like cantelope. It's like an albino version because the color is taken out of it but it is just as sweet as a cantelope that I'd get back home. YUMMY!!!!

Another surprise today was discovering that coriander is the same as cilantro. I love to cook mexican food and make my own salsa but just couldn't find fresh cilantro here and was really disappointed. I was told that coriander is the same but I just didn't believe it because it didn't have the same smell. I would go through the fresh herb section in the stores and smell all the things that looked similar to cilantro which coriander does but it just didn't have that same fresh smell. I decided to just try coriander and see. Today I made a Taco Salad for dinner and as I was chopping up the coriander, that strong beautiful aroma of cilantro crept it's way up to my nose and a smile spread from ear to ear. YES it is the same and I am so happy, Happy, HAPPY!!!!!!



For the past three years when we returned back to Utah for the summer I have craved GOOD peaches. I was always disappointed because we never were there for the actual peach season and the peaches from the stores just were blah! I was at Tamimi's (Saudi's Safeway) here and saw these Lebanese Peaches. They looked perfect so I thought what the heck, I'll try them. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! Who would ever had known that peaches grew in Lebanon and that they were so good. I am in love....
After enjoying some fresh peaches I decided to make my favorite Peach Cobbler. It was heavenly.... Utah may have good peaches, Georgia may be known as the Peach State but Lebanon almost out beats them all. Lebanese Peaches....AWESOME!!!!

Still love it here....all is good!

No comments: