Sunday, March 13, 2011

The New Seaworld in Shekou

This is the plans for the "new" Seaworld Plaza near our house. It looks amazing but knowing how things get done around here, it probably won't look nearly as nice as this. It is going to take over a year for completion which we won't get to see but unfortunately we have to live through all the construction right now. There are plans to build high rises and malls all around us. This place will look totally different in a few years.

I thought I would give a tour of what it is like when we walk to school every morning. It's like walking through an obstacle course. This is a shot near McDonald's in Seaworld. China doesn't seem to care about the safety of people much because this is all right where people walk in and out of the restaurants. We actually have to walk under the scaffolding and who knows what can fall down on you.
This area used to be a fun hang out for the kids. It was an open plaza where you could rollerblade, skateboard, ride bikes, or just sit on the benches and people watch. Not really the fun place anymore which means there isn't much for the kids to do on the weekends. Again, this is on our way to school and only a few blocks from our house.
All the sidewalks and roads are torn up as you can see. All along our way there are open trenches, holes, and just debris everywhere.


Just about everything is done the hard way with manual labor. It's a little funny to see these Chinese men working in street clothes. I've even seen some with suit jackets and dress shoes digging trenches.
The every annoying jackhammer is a constant background noise to our lives here.
This is right in front of the Middle School and Upper Elementary building. Like I said it is construction everywhere.
Looking out my classroom window is a beautiful shot of cranes. I used to love my view because it was of the bay and was actually a pleasant backdrop, but that will change since they are building one of the tallest buildings in Shekou here.
Right in the middle of all this construction is actually a tent where some of the workers live. Not a place I would want to sleep.
War zone? Earthquake? NO...Construction! This was once restaurants, shops, and a plaza in front of the ship.


These are shots from our bedroom window. Just proof of how close the construction is to us.
Another tent for the workers out on what was once the driving range. I think this is the Kitchen or "mess hall".

All this construction has driven us crazy. It really isn't a safe place to walk anymore. Last night we were coming out of a restaurant in the ship near all the construction. The board walk in front of the ship is being taken out with loose boards everywhere. As we were walking to the ship I mentioned how unsafe all this was now and of course as we walk out after dinner I stepped on a board covering a hole that broke under my foot. My right leg fell in a hole all the way up to my thigh. The board they used to cover this hole was a very thin piece of plywood that just cracked under my foot. Fortunately I'm ok but I was one mad puppy. Who would think that a thin piece of plywood would be safe to cover a three foot hole? CRAZY!

1 comment:

Eric Brown said...

Wow. I knew that there was construction, but I had no idea it had gotten this bad. I tell Jamie all the time how I miss living there, but this would definitely make it pretty bad living conditions. Imagine it was a pretty cool place and I guess will be again once all that is completed.